No 1.4.0 Blockers at this point, which is great. Forking this thread
to discuss something else.

There are 92 issues targeted for 1.4.0, 28 of which are marked
Critical. Many are procedural issues like "update docs for 1.4" or
"check X for 1.4". Are these resolved? They sound like things that are
definitely supposed to have finished by now. Certainly, almost all of
these are not going to be resolved for 1.4.0. Is this something we
should be concerned about? because they are predominantly filed by or
assigned to committers, not inexperienced contributors.

I'm concerned that Target Version loses meaning if this happens
frequently, and this number is ~10% of all JIRAs for 1.4. It's
tempting to say X is important and someone will do X before 1.4, and
then forget about it since it has been safely noted for later.
Meanwhile other issues that grab more immediate attention and get
worked on. This constitutes a form of project management, but de facto
it's ad-hoc and reactive. Look at how many new issues and changes have
still been coming in since the first release candidate of 1.4.0,
compared to those "targeted" for the release.

In an ideal world,  Target Version really is what's going to go in as
far as anyone knows and when new stuff comes up, we all have to figure
out what gets dropped to fit by the release date. Boring, standard
software project management practice. I don't know how realistic that
is, but, I'm wondering how people feel about this, who have filed
these JIRAs?

Concretely, should non-Critical issues for 1.4.0 be un-Targeted?
should they all be un-Targeted after the release?