Question: what would happen if I cleared Target Version for everything
still marked Target Version = 1.4.0? There are 76 right now, and
clearly that's not correct.

56 were opened by committers, including issues like "Do X for 1.4".
I'd like to understand whether these are resolved but just weren't
closed, or else why so many issues are being filed as a todo and not
resolved? Slipping things here or there is OK, but these weren't even
slipped, just forgotten.