I also like using Target Version meaningfully. It might be a little
much to require no Target Version = X before starting an RC. I do
think it's reasonable to not start the RC with Blockers open.

And here we started the RC with almost 100 TODOs for 1.4.0, most of
which did not get done. Not the end of the world, but, clearly some
other decisions were made in the past based on the notion that most of
those would get done. The 'targeting' is too optimistic. Given fixed
time, adding more TODOs generally means other stuff has to be taken
out for the release. If not, then it happens de facto anyway, which is
worse than managing it on purpose.

Anyway, thanks all for the attention to some cleanup. I'll wait a
short while and then fix up the rest of them as intelligently as I
can. Maybe I can push on this a little the next time we have a release
cycle to see how we're doing with use of Target Version.