Hi James,

Thanks for your feedback! I think your concerns are all valid, but we need
to make a tradeoff here.

> Explicitly here, what I'm looking for is a convenient mechanism to accept
a fully specified set of arguments

The problem with this approach is: 1) if we wanna add more arguments in the
future, it's really hard to do without changing the existing interface. 2)
if a user wants to implement a very simple data source, he has to look at
all the arguments and understand them, which may be a burden for him.
I don't have a solution to solve these 2 problems, comments are welcome.

> There are loads of cases like this - you can imagine someone being able
to push down a sort before a filter is applied, but not afterwards.
However, maybe the filter is so selective that it's better to push down the
filter and not handle the sort. I don't get to make this decision, Spark
does (but doesn't have good enough information to do it properly, whilst I
do). I want to be able to choose the parts I push down given knowledge of
my datasource - as defined the APIs don't let me do that, they're strictly
more restrictive than the V1 APIs in this way.

This is true, the current framework applies push downs one by one,
incrementally. If a data source wanna go back to accept a sort push down
after it accepts a filter push down, it's impossible with the current data
source V2.
Fortunately, we have a solution for this problem. At Spark side, actually
we do have a fully specified set of arguments waiting to be pushed down,
but Spark doesn't know which is the best order to push them into data
source. Spark can try every combination and ask the data source to report a
cost, then Spark can pick the best combination with the lowest cost. This
can also be implemented as a cost report interface, so that advanced data
source can implement it for optimal performance, and simple data source
doesn't need to care about it and keep simple.

The current design is very friendly to simple data source, and has the
potential to support complex data source, I prefer the current design over
the plan push down one. What do you think?