The number of subscribers doesn't give any meaningful value. Please look
into the number of mails being sent to the list.

https://lists.apache.org/list.html?u...@spark.apache.org
The latest month there were more than 200 emails being sent was Feb 2022,
more than a year ago. It was more than 1k in 2016, and more than 2k in 2015
and earlier.
Let's face the fact. User mailing list is dying, even before we start
discussion about alternative communication methods.

Users never go with the way if it's just because PMC members (or ASF) have
preference. They are going with the way they are convenient.

Same applies here - if ASF Slack requires a restricted invitation mechanism
then it won't work. Looks like there is a link for an invitation, but we
are also talking about the cost as well.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Slack+Guest+Invites
As long as we are being serious about the cost, I don't think we are going
to land in the way "users" are convenient.