Since the genie is out of the bottle now and I have been involved in this
discussion all the way, I think the question ought to be  "Apache Spark DEV
community asks Databricks to differentiate its Spark version string". That
makes more sense as Spark DEV community is a superset of PMC if I am not
wrong". Whether Spark DEV community can make such request is another matter,

That aside, I believe both Dongioon and Sean passionately believe in their
respective views  so this is going to be a hard nut to crack.  A good
number of Spark DEV community members work for Databricks as well so there
is a potential conflict of interest here.  Notwithstanding there are
multiple other companies that use Spark version in one form or shape, so
how about them! Even if we collect 100 votes, what Apache Spark is going to
do if Databricks or for that matter others ignore the request and the
request backfires.

Franfly, I don't think it is worth the effort, regardless of how
passionately we believe in it. I vote to let it rest.

HTH

Mich Talebzadeh,
Lead Solutions Architect/Engineering Lead
Palantir Technologies Limited
London
United Kingdom

   view my Linkedin profile