Yep, the Spark UI's Shuffle Write Size/Records" column can sometimes show
incorrect record counts *when data is retrieved from cache or persisted
data*. This happens because the record count reflects the number of records
written to disk for shuffling, and not the actual number of records in the
cached or persisted data itself. Add to it, because of lazy evaluation:,
Spark may only materialize a portion of the cached or persisted data when a
task needs it. The "Shuffle Write Size/Records" might only reflect the
materialized portion, not the total number of records in the
cache/persistence. While the "Shuffle Write Size/Records" might be
inaccurate for cached/persisted data, the "Shuffle Read Size/Records"
column can be more reliable. This metric shows the number of records read
from shuffle by the following stage, which should be closer to the actual
number of records processed.

HTH

Mich Talebzadeh,
Technologist | Architect | Data Engineer  | Generative AI | FinCrime
London
United Kingdom

   view my Linkedin profile

 https://en.everybodywiki.com/Mich_Talebzadeh

*Disclaimer:* The information provided is correct to the best of my
knowledge but of course cannot be guaranteed . It is essential to note
that, as with any advice, quote "one test result is worth one-thousand
expert opinions (Werner  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernher_von_Braun>Von
Braun <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernher_von_Braun>)".