@all,

I just want to bring up that topic again. There is a rather frequent stream of (absolutely legitimate) questions regarding the PyPi packages not being published.

So it seems fair to say that there is obviously a certain demand within the community, which is super great. Now on the other hand we have no noteworthy reactions from that very same community to help with that topic.

Let me put it bluntly. This is not your mothers supermarked where stock refills almost like automagically overnight. This is open source. It works as long as there are at least some people spending parts of their valuable time supporting projects. It is about giving & taking.

Thrift supports about 20+ target languages. So it is fair to say that supporting packages for all of them (where approprate) is quite a bit of work.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I personally maintain quite a number of packages after each release. Thanks to the great work of other people (e.g. @JimKing) who spent their time on that topic before me, this became manageable by setting up and documenting a well-defined process to follow which also does not eat too much additional release time.

If we can have such a process for PyPi that would be super awesome. Right now this is not the case, unfortunately. This is where you could chime in.

See also https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/2555

Happy New Year everybody,
JensG