Github user spmallette commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/448

    I don't think there's a use case in the context of the python GLV, but we
have that use case in GraphSON in legacy support for TinkerPop 2.x based
GraphSON (the migration scenario mentioned). I don't know that we'd extend that
to Python. I guess the point here is to try to maintain API consistency across
all the languages, even if we don't quite have all the support for all the
features from Java applicable to Python just yet.

---
with INFRA.
---