Github user FlorianHockmann commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/802

    > what is the advantage to building these images if a .docker file is
present?

    A reason to keep this option is that it makes it easier to detect when
changes break the Docker images, e.g., when the naming of the zip archives or
their location changes. For those cases, it would be good to build the images
with every Maven build (assuming that Docker is installed locally).
    The build should also basically be a no-op when nothing changed about the
Docker images, although the build time slightly increases from 33s to 51s for
`gremlin-server` on my system without and with activated `docker-images`
profile and the image already present (from my comment on 1 Mar).

    I expanded the dev docs for the two aspects you mentioned (Docker Hub
account and release process for the Docker images).

---