Github user FlorianHockmann commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/802

    No, you're right. That is something that is very unlikely to occur and I
can't think of other (more likely) reasons where the build of the docker images
could fail as they really only copy the packaged artefacts together with the
`docker-entrypoint.sh` scripts into the image.
    It is more likely that the built images themselves stop working for some
reason, but we couldn't find that during the maven build anyway. So making it a
habit to check the Docker images before a release seems to be the better option
to me.

    I'll push a commit to remove the `.docker` file option and add a note to
the docs section you linked.

---