> On Jun 12, 2019, at 6:35 AM, Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:11 AM Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> Rémy's enhancements are great - the better and cleaner the integration, the
> better for all those projects.
> But Romain and David are also correct: it's very easy to become a committer
> on all the involved projects, especially for people known to deliver
> outstanding code and to be excellent community players!

I'll restate my position below just to be clear I am a fan of the effort.

> Having a build reference to TomEE or OWB in Tomcat would introduce cycles in
> our builds. This is not really a good thing.
>
> That did not seem very practical to me so the said code is quite Tomcat-like
> right now and most importantly it needs the fixes made in 9.0.21, so it won't
> work with any older Tomcat. If you really can take it over (and un-Tomcatize
> the code, I suppose), no problem.

The "Tomcat-like" is the part I really like.  Some historical perspective from
my eyes:

  - In Geronimo we did the integration "outside" Tomcat, by stripping it down
  - In TomEE we did the integration "inside" Tomcat, but making no changes

I see this as a first attempt to potentially make some things easier in Tomcat
itself and that is exciting and worth encouraging.

> B.) We should also try to keep code and responsibilities at a single place
> and shall try to avoid duplications. This has nothing to do with 'ownership'
> - shuch a concept doesn't exist at the ASF anyway. But it has a lot to do
> with users knowing exactly where to look at if they are searching for a bug
> or even want to contribute a new feature.
>
> Ok, so I guess I don't need to do anything further in that area since you
> prefer to continue covering it. I'll move on to other items on my todo list
> then.

I personally wouldn't want to see that.  I restate that from my perspective,
I'd be happy to make every attempt to drop no-longer-needed code from TomEE and
uptake the newer code in Tomcat.

My only pause is if people actually want a CDI integration here.  If people
think it's worth at least a poke, however, I'm all in.

Is this something people would want and what is the best way to do it
here-here? (not in one of our personal repos)

-David