чт, 6 февр. 2020 г. в 15:06, Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>:

>> > Yes, it is all explained in the release plan for Jakarta. 10.0.0.x with
>> > Jakarta EE 9 will be followed by the "real" release which will be 10.0.1
>> > (then 10.0.2, 10.0.3, etc) with Jakarta EE 10 (with stuff actually new in
>> > it).
>>
>> Thank you for your response, but all this is rather confusing.
>>
>> 1). Why cannot we go with the usual 10.0.x for Jakarta EE 9, followed
>> by 10.0.y for Jakarta EE 10,
>> e.g. see Specifications page in the wiki like it was for WebSocket 1.0
>> and WebSocket 1.1 (since 8.0.13),
>> and maintenance releases of the Servlet specification?
>>
>> [1]
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/Bi8lBg#Specifications-JavaAPIforWebSocket
>>
> 10.0.0.x will not be immediately EOLed I suppose, so that's why there's an
> extra number.

This cannot be achieved with the proposed numbering scheme.

When I think about numbering schemes such as semver, or used for
Maven, or RPM packages, the numbers essentially imply that 10.0.0 and
10.0.1 are binary compatible with only minor changes. When you update
a version of a package, version "10.0.1" will silently supersede
"10.0.0". But that is not the case here.

It is rather hard to explain to people that "10.0.0" is a separate of
branch of development and a separate chain of releases.

> The plan was discussed and the final version of it is here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Jakarta+EE+Release+Numbering

The page says "10.0.0.Mx" (in step 1, step 2)

Trying to achieve exact matching between Tomcat version and EE
specification version does not really matter. E.g. Tomcat 9.0 is Java
EE 8, not 9.

Thus far my vote is

The proposed 10.0.0.0-M1 release is:
[x] Broken - do not release