On 06/04/2020 17:56, Filip Hanik wrote:
> Team,
>
> As I'm slowly transitioning between projects, Apache Tomcat has once
> again showed up in my workspace. I'm currently working on improving the
> embedded experience for native images.
>
> I have a pull request,[1] <https://github.com/apache/tomcat/pull/267>,
> that I'd like to open up a discussion about
>
> Goal: Able to start embedded Apache Tomcat without using reflection.

Do you have a test case you are working to? It would be helpful to see
exactly where the problems are in terms of what is considered reflection
and what isn't.

On that point, can we tell the tooling that reflection isn't used even
if the automated analysis can't tell that? I'm thinking of something
along the lines of ensuring that most execution paths - including
embedded - avoid reflection. We should, hopefully, be able to document
the scenarios where reflection is triggered so users know to avoid them.

> This PR: Changes the constructor for Connector to not use reflection.
> Instead the calling components will instantiate the ProtocolHandler
>
> Besides the constructor change, functionality should remain backwards
> compatible.

I am very uncomfortable changing the constructor for a fundamental
component like Connector this far into a stable release - hence wanting
to explore options.

Mark