On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 9:49 AM Romain Manni-Bucau
<rmannibu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Checkout out TomEE's notifications I realized Tomcat is in a weirdish
> situation where Tomcat 9 is Servlet 4 and "+1" version is Tomcat 10.1 which
> is Servlet 6.
> It means Tomcat is no more a Servlet 5 friendly option.
>
> I wonder if it means Tomcat < 10.1 should be stopped too or if Tomcat 10.0
> should be maintained and released again - pretty sure we can find help if
> desired for that not that far.
> Another option is to restore the deleted methods between servlet 5-6 in the
> code base to be able to run Tomcat 10.1 with Servlet 5 API instead of
> Servlet 6 - to pass signature TCK.
>
> Wdyt?

Nothing. The Tomcat developers (= the committers) determined that the
EE 9 release was useless since the only change is the javax -> jakarta
package renaming. A big task for sure, but that seemed to us this was
more a developer oriented armaggeddon and not something that benefits
our users.

For reasons that elude my understanding, some other projects like
TomEE thought this was still useful and decided to release full
support for EE 9 rather than go to EE 10 like we did. Our plan about
EE was public. So I guess this is still our problem obviously, but I
don't feel like doing anything about it.

BTW, about the last item. Recently, I tried to run CXF on the new EE
10 APIs (since OWB moved to that). It doesn't work as it uses
deprecated APIs, while IMO it should have moved away from them long
ago. And it's an ASF project, not some hack project somewhere.
Basically unless there's a cut somewhere, nothing will ever change :D
As a result, I don't think an API restoration in Tomcat 10.1 is a good
idea ...

Rémy