On 12/17/11 11:42 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> 2011/12/17 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>

>>> Ok then using Nexus makes sense only if you are going to use Maven for
>> all
>>> the release process (it's a matter of two commands and a Nexus stage
>>> promotion).
>>> I think that now you should change the subject into: why should you
>> switch
>>> to pure Maven build process? :-D (Joking, but not too much)
>> Yeah, that isn't going to happen :)
>>
>> I've seen way to much pain and grief with Maven on the Commons list to
>> ever want to even think about converting the Tomcat build process to Maven.
>>
> Commons? That's strange, they are only libraries. Probably they never had
> <cringe-mode-off /> a Maven wizard like me <cringe-mode-on />.

We have several maven committers on the PMC and have been using
maven since the 1.x days.

One thing we have learned is that maven builds require regular care
and feeding.  We are on version 23 of the Commons Parent pom.  One
statistic that I have often thought would be interesting to look at
is how much time (maybe proxied by number of metadata commits) is
spent maintaining maven vs Ant builds.  I wonder if on net maven
saves time?  The tomcat Ant build has been relatively stable
compared to the maven projects I know.  Could be I am wrong, but I
bet tomcat has overall spent less time fussing with its build than
the average ASF maven project.  In Commons, our success getting to
periods of stability (we are between stable points now) has depended
on having multiple deeply maven-knowledgeable people prepared to do
the work to keep component builds up to date with maven,
ASF/Sonatype infrastructure and plugin changes. If there are several
tomcat committers willing to step up to do this, then I am sure you
can get it to work.  Otherwise, you are likely better off staying
with Ant.

Phil