2011/12/17 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>

> On 17/12/2011 18:35, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> >> The scp+rsync process also has a staging repository (and using that did
> >> not cause any meta-data issues).
> >>
> >> The JARs are the standard Tomcat JARs. The Maven release process just
> >> adds the metadata files and moves the JARs + metadata around. Since the
> >> JARs are already tested as part of the Tomcat release process, we never
> >> had a need to use the staging repository and I don't see that changing.
> >>
> >> There is also a snapshot repository and we did use that early on in the
> >> Tomcat 7 development process (before the first release) mainly because
> >> one user who was doing a lot of testing was using Maven and the snapshot
> >> repository was the easiest way to get them the latest build. We stopped
> >> using the snapshot repository some time ago. I can't remember if it was
> >> after the first release or after the first stable release.
> >>

> > Ok then using Nexus makes sense only if you are going to use Maven for
> all
> > the release process (it's a matter of two commands and a Nexus stage
> > promotion).
> > I think that now you should change the subject into: why should you
> switch
> > to pure Maven build process? :-D (Joking, but not too much)
>
> Yeah, that isn't going to happen :)
>
> I've seen way to much pain and grief with Maven on the Commons list to
> ever want to even think about converting the Tomcat build process to Maven.

Commons? That's strange, they are only libraries. Probably they never had
<cringe-mode-off /> a Maven wizard like me <cringe-mode-on />.
Seriously, if I have the time, I could fork Tomcat 7 from GitHub to try if
I can change this situation. I already did it for Velocity (using SVN). The
only difficulty is the website.

Antonio