Speaking as a reasonably-well-informed user of TomEE, who has been into the
code, but who is still very much an outsider, I would say that documentation
is probably the biggest obstacle to wider uptake. It's a project I would be
happy to work on. I'm willing to put the work in to do some serious writing.

Before we talk about documentation workflow, git vs other models, CMSes,
etc., I think there are some much more basic questions to address:

-- Who is the intended audience for each major portion of the documentation?

-- For TomEE Components that are not owned by this project (e.g., Tomcat,
cxf, JMS, etc.), how shall our documentation interact with that component's
"native" documentation? By reference? By duplication? Other?

-- What are the major reference topics that need to be covered? (For
example, Contexts, Classloaders, Configuration, Testing, Embedded, etc)?

-- What are the major tutorial or "how-to" threads that need to be covered?