I did a small gap-analysis of where we're still short on Java EE 8 APIs from
the perspective of our javaee-api jar:

 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2620

Specific callouts are these APIs are also implementations, so switching to the
equivalent Jakarta version also gains a compliant implementation:

 - javax.activation 1.1 vs 1.2
 - javax.security.jacc 1.4 vs 1.6
 - javax.mail 1.5 vs 1.6

This one is a flaw in my reporting, it's included in Tomcat:

 - javax.security.auth.message 1.0 vs 1.1 (JASPIC)

We should likely use the exact version cxf requires of this:

 - javax.xml.ws 2.2 vs 2.3 (JAX-WS)

These we will likely not be able to change as the corresponding implementations
aren't there:

 - javax.enterprise.concurrent 1.0 vs 1.1
 - javax.resource 1.6 vs 1.7
 - javax.transaction 1.2 vs 1.3 (JTA)

If we ship TomEE 8.0 with just those three lagging APIs, that would be pretty
good.  Shipping a final with 8 lagging libraries, less fantastic.

What do people think about the potential upgrades?

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins