This is really the better thread to talk about how to handle the gaps in our
Java EE 8 APIs and support.

As noted, there is not license victory to be won.  We have had EPL and CDDL
dependencies since v1.0 in 2011.

From a Geronimo perspective, we typed in the APIs and created all those spec
jars because there were no open source options that weren't the JBoss GPL
versions.  GlassFish didn't exist yet.  When GlassFish came about, we kept up
the practice largely out of habit.  We did have an unavoidable CDDL via the xml
schemas and JAXB RI, so our licensing victory wasn't quite there.

This is really a resources and timeline issue.

Some of these specs are actually implementations, specifically:

 - JavaMail 1.6
 - JACC 1.6
 - Activation 1.2

If we decide we want the Geronimo versions to be upgraded (implemented) and
this is important for TomEE 8, we should expect that to ship sometime 2020.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins