I'm +1 on Issue Templates, for sure. I don't know that PR templates
are quite as critical, but it might be nice to have a reminder in
there about verifying that the changelog is updated if necessary and
documentation for new features is present. If the PR Template
overwrites the default comment that you get from the commit body, it
might be more annoying than valuable, though.

I'm also +1 on hiding these particular files in a .github directory.
Unlike CONTRIBUTING and README, they don't provide all that much
benefit for a new person looking for stuff to read.