I think the best option is to move the burden to the backport proposer. While
backports serve a critical function there's good reason to make it a bit of a
challenge to keep them down to the ones that are really needed. Therefore we
could make the proposer responsible for (1) detecting a +3 vote on the backport
and (2) doing the JIRA bookkeeping for the backport and (3) probably doing the
actual commit and JIRA update.