An interesting comparison: The Ruta-core tests, for 2.5.0, run (on my laptop
develop machine) in 48 seconds.  If I switch the Java to 8, it runs in 40
seconds.  If I switch to Uima v3, it runs in about 23 seconds :-).

This amount of speedup is perhaps unusual; I haven't really analyzed what's
contributing to the improvement.  It could be many things, from better locality
of reference, causing significantly fewer memory cache misses (this is a key
design goal of v3), and/or benefits from improvements in some of the fundamental
approaches for managing indexes.

-Marshall