Hi Marshall,

> On 13.01.2017, at 04:50, Marshall Schor <m...@schor.com> wrote:
>
> 1) I made a version of uimaFIT and Ruta for v3, and called them by some
> different version number.
>
> Having a separate version allows the builds to create separate sets of Maven
> objects, which don't "overlay" the others.
>
> The POM changes are:
>
>  a) switching the Java version to 8
>  b) depending on uima v3 (3.0.0-SNAPSHOT)
>  c) Ruta has a property for the uima version, the uimaFIT version, both
> updated
> to the appropriate versions.

If we do not want to release two versions of uimaFIT/Ruta but only be able to
build the same source against uimaV2 and uimaV3, then we could use a profile
in the POM to control the dependencies and set up build jobs on Jenkins to
activate either uimaV2-mode or V3-mode.

But I guess a uimaFIT/Ruta compiled against V2 is not binary-compatible with one
compiled against V3, is it?

> ------------------
>
> 2) uimaFIT has some JCas cover classes that are not generated by the build,
> but are
> in source code.

I don't think they are customized. Should be possible to use the JCasGen plugin
everywhere.

> 3) Some test cases that depend on the internals of V2 needed updating in
> uimaFIT.

Did you commit these changes anywhere? Are they backwards-compatible with V2?

Cheers,

-- Richard