> On 12.04.2018, at 14:34, Marshall Schor <m...@schor.com> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> Good to start with a contained sub-part, and see how it goes, and see how the
> community reacts, etc.
>
> I have some confusion on whether this is a move to "github" or "git"?

Both. Maybe it would be possible to have an ASF-only git repo without making
use of GitHub, but actually one of the reasons I want to make the move is
to be able to make use of the GitHub Pull-Request / code review feature.

INFRA will set up the repo such that mails generated from discussions on pull
requests will be send to one of our mailing lists, probably dev. This seems
to be one of the *special* features of the ASF<->GitHub integration, because
afaik GitHub itself does not have a feature to send issue/PR mails to a mailing
list.

> If to github, that comes with lots of "extra" things, like issue tracking,
> wiki's, a
> static-web-page web-site (much like Apache).

I will not make use of these features for the time being. Issues continue
on Jira. The wiki will be turned off (if we need one, we have Confluence).
Also, we already have a website and do not need another one.

> GitHub supports a bit of
> hierarchical organization, e.g. "Organizations" with various teams having
> various permissions (I may have this not quite right, I'm not an expert).
>
> How are permissions handled by ASF's use of GIT?  Are there "teams" that
> correspond to commit access for UIMA projects?

There is an Apache organization on GitHub. I didn't ask INFRA how they handle
teams and committership on GitHub. I expect there will be a "uimafit-committers"
team with people who have write access to the uimafit repo (I can see e.g. a
"SkyWalking-committers" team in the ASF organization).

Every non-committer only has read access. Furthermore, certain branches will be
protected from potentially harmful activities (i.e. history rewrites). I believe
INFRA sets  this up by default, if not I will ask them to.

> Also, I take it your repo would be 1 repo for all of uimaFIT, correct?

Yes. Basically the https://github.com/apache/uima-uimafit repo. Mind that this
repo
does not contain the uimaFIT v3 code. I would try moving the v3 code from its
present location under the general v3 subtree into the "regular" branches
folder.
That should make it appear in the GitHub mirror. Not entirely sure about how
much
of the v3 history will be retained in this process, but then again, there is not
much history to retain anyway.

> I curious if I clone this repo if I would be able to access the change
> history,
> going back before the time of the conversion?

A git repository by default contains the entire history, yes. For special cases,
it is possible to create a "shallow clone" but it has limited functionality.
E.g.
one can not push changes made to a shallow clone to another repository.

So, when you clone the repo, you have access to the entire history. You can also
view the entire history here:
https://github.com/apache/uima-uimafit/commits/trunk

All questions answered?

Cheers,