Nathan Bubna wrote:
On 5/3/07, Ahmed Mohombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Basically removing all the @author tags from the velocity code base
> and docs and replacing it with 'Velocity development community' and a
> link to the dev-list.
>
> How about doing this?
-1 from me as a user.

In a lot of projects when I had problems, I was able to ask directly the author(s) of that class/utility, and this was very helpful. The complete project was too big
and the work of just too many people.

as an author who gets asked user questions off-list, you should know
it's annoying to me.  i would rather you write an email to the user
list starting "Nathan, you jerk!  would you help....", than ask for my
time personally, without my invitation or an offer of pay from you.
my response to personal user emails has for years included this link:

Nathan, are you f******* serious?

None of this is an argument against @author tags per se.

Just put in:

@author <a href="mailto:dev@velocity.apache.org>Nathan Bubna</a>

and the whole "problem" is solved, right?

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#uselists

and lately has also included the offer of personal consulting work for
a fee.  i volunteer on the lists.  off-the-list, i now expect to be
paid.

Why don't you people concentrate on important things, e.g. like performance?

because it's not a problem for me.  If you want to pay me to pull out
a profiler, look for bottlenecks, and widen them, then contact me
personally.  i'd be happy to consider that.

Do you really think the users do care so much about "cosmetics" when the concurrent
products/technologies get real improvements?

did you notice that this was on the dev@ list?  we're not talking
about doing this for the users' sake.

Oh, good grief...

Jonathan Revusky