On Thu, 1 Oct 2026 at 18:03, Craig Russell <[email protected]> wrote: > > Thanks for all the feedback. > > > On Sep 28, 2026, at 14:40, sebb <[email protected]> wrote: > > > > On Mon, 28 Sept 2026 at 21:10, Dave Fisher <[email protected]> wrote: > >> > >> > >> > >>> On Sep 28, 2026, at 12:36 PM, Craig Russell <[email protected]> wrote: > >>> > >>> Hi Dave, > >>> > >>>> On Sep 20, 2026, at 16:55, Craig Russell <[email protected]> wrote: > >>>> > >>>> Hi Dave, > >>>> > >>>>> On Sep 20, 2026, at 08:21, Dave Fisher <[email protected] > >>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: > >>>>> > >>>>> Hi Craig, > >>>>> > >>>>> A top post sorry. 'sokay > >>>>> > >>>>> (1) I would adjust the positioning of the form fields in the ODT to the > >>>>> left. > >>>> > >>>> Not sure what you mean, The form fields are already just a quarter inch > >>>> to the right of the field that describes them. > >>> > >>> I'm still looking for what you mean by 'adjust the positioning of the > >>> form fields'. > >>> > >>> Can you please be more specific? > >> > >> Yes the fields should be better aligned to the left edge of the _____ > > I see what you mean now. The entry fields can be schrooched a bit to the left > to better align with the _____ > > > > Do you mean the field names should be right-aligned? > > Or do you mean the ___ should be extended towards the names? > > Or do you mean the left edges of the ___ field markers should be > > vertically aligned? > > > > If the form is to be changed, I think the family name check box should > > be removed. > > It does not serve any useful purpose, as the setting is ignored if the > > secretary does not think it is correct. > > If both names could be family names, and there is nothing else to suggest > which name is the family name, the check box is definitive. So that is the > reason to keep it.
I'm pretty sure that the setting has been overridden sometimes. But in any case, why do we need to know which is the family name? > I suppose there could be better documentation for the next document filer > about how to figure out what the family name really is. But the short answer > probably is to take the submitter's advice on what the family name is. I can > also ask some of my Chinese friends for advice. Maybe some Chinese words on > the form would be more helpful. If we really need to know which is the family name, then we should have separate fields. And what about cultures that don't have a family name? Personally, I think we should just store the names as presented on the form, and not attempt any corrective action. Less hassle all round. > > > > A meta question: why is this thread on dev@whimsy? > > It has very little to do with Whimsy; indeed it existed long before > > Whimsy was created, and is likely to continue once the Whimsy > > Secretary function is taken over by Tooling. > > You are right. But I thought I would get good feedback from this channel. > Others not so constructive... Legal-discuss might be useful to determine what we actually need to collect. > Craig > > > > >> Best, > >> Dave > >> > >>> > >>> Thanks, > >>> Craig > >>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>> > >>> Craig L Russell > >>> [email protected] > >>> > >> > > Craig L Russell > [email protected] >
