On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 11:47 -0700, Cezar Andrei wrote:
> Bootstrap works the first time also for me. But I've put in your patch
> to run bootstrap twice. Let's see if it fixes Gump.

Grrr.... obviously not :-(

I have no more technical suggestions, and it seems to me that it may be
something in the gump environment itself that is the problem. According
to this page:

<http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/xml-xmlbeans/xml-xmlbeans-v1/gump_work/build_xml-xmlbeans_xml-xmlbeans-v1.html>

the command that is used to do the build is:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true
        -Dbuild.sysclasspath=only

-Xbootclasspath/p:/srv/gump/public/workspace/xml-xerces2/build/xercesImpl.jar:/srv/gump/public/workspace/xml-commons/java/external/build/xml-apis.jar
        org.apache.tools.ant.Main
-Dgump.merge=/srv/gump/public/gump/work/merge.xml -f
        build.xml bootstrap

The "gump.merge" system property suggests to me that there is something
non-standard going on. Maybe some sort of state from previous builds is
being brought forward and having an effect on the current build.

My next suggestion would be to contact Robert Donkin (after everything
to do with the 2.6.0 release has been sorted out), and ask him how to
reproduce the problem outside the gump environment. Anyone could do this
in principle, but maybe it would be better coming from an XMLBeans
committer?

Regards,
Peter.

> Cezar
>
> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 03:33 -0700, Peter Keller wrote:
> > Still getting these gump messages.... Is a committer able to apply the
> > patch to build.xml on the 1.x branch as I suggested?
> >
> > I have tried to reproduce the error on an svn checkout of branch/1.x and
> > a standard ant invocation of "ant bootstrap", but that works for me with
> > just one pass. I guess that the gump failure must be due to some
> > character set issue in the gump environment and/or the build of the
> > tools that gump is using.
> >
> > Anyway, doing two bootstrap passes should fix it (or if it doesn't,
> > enable us to ask the person who put xmlbeans on gump for help in
> > reproducing the error).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Peter.
> >
> > On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 17:31 +0100, Peter Keller wrote:
> > > According to the information at the bottom of this page:
> > >
> > > <http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/xml-xmlbeans/index.html>
> > >
> > > gump is getting xmlbeans from
> > > <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlbeans/branches/1.x>. Looking at
> > > build.xml at that location, the fix hasn't been applied there.
> > >
> > > Hope that helps,
> > > Peter.
> > >
> > > P.S. If that doesn't fix it, I would suggest e-mailing Robert Donkin
> > > directly for help.

Peter Keller                                     Tel.: +44 (0)1223 353033
Global Phasing Ltd.,                             Fax.: +44 (0)1223 366889
Sheraton House,
Castle Park,
Cambridge CB3 0AX
United Kingdom