Thanks for the pointers. It was good to help refreshing my memory.

We definitely missed the communication when stable and current links were
flipped from one version to another. Things will get more interesting when
Enrico finally releases 3.8.0. We’ll end up having 3 different “stable"
branches and 3.8 will become the “current”.

What can we do with this?

Announcing 3.5 EoL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This should have been done before flipping the stable pointer, but anyway,
here’re the points that we considered when doing the same for 3.4:
- Discussion happened in March/April 2020, EoL was announced for 1st of June,
2020 (3 months ahead).

- Define what EOL means - This is already discussed, text can be copy-pasted
from 3.4 EoL message,

- Provide guidelines for upgrading paths,

- State interoperability guarantees
   - Previous version of ZooKeeper client is able to connect to server as long
as there’s no new feature enforced on server side,
   - Previous version of ZooKeeper server is able to accept connections from
clients as long as they don’t want to use new features.

- Curator already supports later versions - Is it true for 3.6, 3.7?

It’s February now, so if we nail down the above points, I don’t see any
objections against announcing 3.5 EoL for 1st of June, 2022 (2 years after 3.4
EoL, providing 4 months to upgrade). Maybe we can also communicate that we’re
going to officially EoL the least recent ZK version every 2 years.

Andor