Yet again I return to this subject of Kannel internal architecture thing.
This time with something very concrete; available from my web page is now
the entire modified version of Kannel we have made mainly during last Fall
and Winter, with list of features we would like to include to Kannel.

However, as told earlier, many of these changes are quite radical and thus
not very easily portable. Now, instead of trying to port them
neverthless, I propose something more radical:

  Move the entire Kannel to use our core engine, then port all new
  features in Kannel to that core engine (SQL interface, new AT2, all kind
   of special messages, DLR's (see notes below) etc.)

Why this? Because we feel that the new design is more robust, stabile and
faster. It has better SMS storing system, faster SMS handling,
condiguration loading etc. And as most new features in Kannel are just new
modules which use the interfaces I defined 2 or so years ago, so they
should be easily movable (I dunno about DLRs, but it is mainly in
smscconn, after all.. we also have our system to handle DLR's, it is a
bit different)

The biggest system-wise difference is that we have merged smsbox and
bearerbox, while Kannel has separate. For this I propose that we can have
BOTH: allow that it can be configured to use external smsboxes or just use
internal handling (or maybe both?). We also have a bit different
configuration file syntax for sms-services but that is just details..

Yes, this sounds heavy and very drastic. But I hope you can at least
think about it, and think hard. Old Kannel developers at least can somehow
trust that I and Uoti know what we have been doing :]

The original modified version is available for you to test (but for
possible copyright reasons in some parts I won't announce the place
here, so send me email) so investigate it and think about this issue.
Feel free to say your opinion how easily some things can be ported to
main Kannel tree, too.

--
&kalle marjola
product concept manager