Peter Jones wrote:
> Other corner cases where your case was wrong include new packages that
> Obsolete existing packages.

Nonsense. I wrote "new package which doesn't replace anything". Obsoletes =
replacing.

>> Even if you fix all the fixable problems, testing will still not be a
>> silver bullet!
>
> Nobody is saying that it is! Merely that it's better than not having
> testing!

I'm not suggesting we should not have testing, I'm suggesting we should be
able to skip it for urgent fixes, such as regressions which slipped through
testing (because testing is not a silver bullet)!

>> X11 is particularly dangerous for this kind of changes, given how low it
>> is in the software stack and how some code necessarily looks like
>> (hardware drivers in particular are always scary stuff). The average leaf
>> package is much less propice to breakage induced by minimal changes.
>
> This is just plain bull. High level packages also have one line fixes that
> are simple, elegant, and wrong.

They are much less likely though.

        Kevin Kofler