Mike McGrath wrote:
> You can't assume that people are only using software we ship.  If someone
> is using software they've custom developed (think a webapp).  We've now
> forced them to do work.  There's several use cases here, people building
> and shipping appliances, webapps, etc.  Why would anyone agree to do
> development and choose Fedora if the target they're building for can
> change without notice?

They already do. Our ABIs can already change without notice, and our policy
is to only require a rebuild of the stuff in Fedora (and third-party
repositories are expected to rebuild their stuff, for RPM Fusion we normally
warn the affected maintainers beforehand). For custom-built stuff, whoever
builds it is responsible for rebuilding it for dependency changes. It would
be impossible to do even Firefox security updates (and many other important
updates) otherwise! I don't see this as a problem at all.

        Kevin Kofler