Le mercredi 03 mars 2010 à 16:32 +0100, Kevin Kofler a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > If KDE wants to be on an equal footing with GNOME (another of your
> > repeated complains) it needs to learn synchronizing with distro releases
> > like GNOME (and kernel, and xorg did).
>
> I don't see this as being practical at all. Not all distros even release at
> the same time as Fedora and Ubuntu in the first place.

And that does not matter, because you can not synchronize with everyone,
so you'd better synchronize with major distros, and other major software
packages.

> > You're distorting the Fedora model to accommodate KDE roadmaps.
>
> No, this goes far beyond KDE. KDE roadmaps are just one strong argument for
> doing things this way. Many more packages benefit or would benefit from
> version upgrades during a release.

This is only working for you because KDE is a high-visibility project
and can mobilize resources even outside the distro normal schedule. The
other packages you talk of could benefit if QA was cheap and plentiful
but QA is not cheap and plentiful and pretending we do not have resource
constrains and can afford no to forget about planification will not
change this fact. I'm sure there are *many* Fedora SIGs that would
dearly love to have a tenth of the resources you squander on
semi-rolling KDE releases so they can hit their own 6-month target
releases (yes the very period you find too short). Every effort you make
to destabilize the normal six-month cycle because you can afford to
hurts those packagers.

--
Nicolas Mailhot