On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 16:34 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> On 06/06/2016 03:56 PM, Benjamin Kreuter wrote:
> >
> >   It took me three days to find the problem the last time systemd
> > caused
> > unexpected behavior on my system.
> What was this hard to find unexpected behaviour you encountered?

The system would immediately suspend whenever I locked the screen.

The cause is that systemd reported my chassis type as "tablet," which
triggers that particular behavior in GNOME.  The problem is that my
system is a laptop*.  GNOME shares in the blame here for having hard-
coded something so confusing, but systemd triggered that behavior and
the only current workaround is to explicitly configure the chassis type
via systemd.

My real point is not about the specific problem, but about how long it
takes to figure out that systemd is even involved.  It took a lot of
googling to find that workaround.  There is no reason to think about
systemd when confronted with such behavior.  With the way things are
going I suppose that may change -- eventually we may assume that
systemd is somehow responsible for all unwanted behavior.

-- Ben

* The marketing term for my system is "convertible," which is a laptop
featuring a touchscreen lid that can be folded all the way around and
used like a tablet.  This is not captured by any of systemd's chassis
types, and setting CHASSIS=laptop results in other unexpected (but not
as bad) behavior:  when folding the lid back into the more conventional
laptop form the system will suspend.