On Wed, 2016-06-29 at 04:08 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Petr Pisar wrote:
> > per Build Root Without Perl Fedora 25 change
> > <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Build_Root_Without_Perl>, I'm
> > ready to implement the most visible part of this change.
>
> That change completely fails to account for the unknown (probably very high)
> number of packages that run Perl scripts at any point of their build
> process. All the steps you documented to detect affected packages catch only
> packages that actually have Perl-related output (because you scan the
> RUNTIME dependencies for Perl module or libperl dependencies), which are
> only the tip of the iceberg. I expect this change to break a huge number of
> packages' build in very strange, hard to debug ways. It is likely that some
> will even silently build with some important functionality removed, because
> Perl was not available to build some generated file or test for some system
> properties.

I know that at one point it was standing advice for Mandrake packages
to use perl for doing sed-style substitutions in specs (i.e. perl -pi
-e 's,foo,bar,' ) because you could rely on perl being in the build
root. So yeah, it seems like it would be a good idea to check for that
kind of thing...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey