On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 8:52 PM, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com>
wrote:

> About the rewrite comment: that did not come from a developer, and is
> definitely overstated. In any case, rewrites are not inherently bad
> news, there's a bunch of OpenZFS videos from last yearss summit in
> which the developers talk about various things being completely
> rewritten from scratch, some things more than twice. So kinda par for
> the course, and given enough time things get rewritten anyway. XFS has
> had substantial changes over its history including numerous on disk
> format changes even before it found its way onto Linux.

Could be, should be, may be... that's fine - but it all says the same
thing... they
don't know how much time it is going to take to fix - and who knows what
their
priority is to get around to it.  The advantages over what already is
available
don't appear to be that compelling, especially when weighed with the risks.

When all this started I did some searches and found Kent Overstreet's page
on
bcachefs:  https://goo.gl/U0UFfN

He had some words about the different filesystems - and had this to say
about btrfs:

btrfs, which was supposed to be Linux's next generation COW filesystem -
Linux's answer to zfs. Unfortunately, too much code was written too quickly
without focusing on getting the core design correct first, and now it has
too many design mistakes baked into the on disk format and an enormous,
messy codebase - bigger that xfs. It's taken far too long to stabilize as
well - poisoning the well for future filesystems because too many people
were burned on btrfs, repeatedly (e.g. Fedora's tried to switch to btrfs
multiple times and had to switch at the last minute, and server vendors who
years ago hoped to one day roll out btrfs are now quietly migrating to xfs
instead).

Then there is this quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fvDDPaIoY&t=18m28s
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fvDDPaIoY&t=18m28s>"Software that is
designed/ intended to be reliable should not go through large periods of
instability only to be written off as "prepubescence"."