On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 16:21:25 +0000, Christopher wrote:

> > Our rules is "leave it to the packager's personal preference" and to
> > "keep what's important".
>
> I'm curious, what *IS* important?

1.) Don't copy upstream changelogs into the spec %changelog.

2.) Mention everything that may affect whether the packaged software
no longer works, such as added/removed patches, added/remove BuildRequires,
added/removed explicit Requires, replaced source tarballs, changes to the
build process, rebuilds (note that rebuilt dependencies may cause
breakage, too, so both users and maintainers may read %changelogs and
figure out what components had been touched before something has caused
breakage), changes to custom installation in %install as well as to the
scriptlets/triggers.

Note that infamous "spec rewrites", which have not been mentioned in the
%changelog and not in a git commit comment either, have been the culprit
of breakage several times before. Even simply changes, such as re-indentation
and replacing tabs with spaces (or vice versa), also has caused breakage
because of introducing bugs into the spec file OR leading to a completely
unnecessary rebuild that produced broken builds (as a result of building
with changed build requirements).

> Who are the consumers of this information?

Both the packager users and package maintainers.

> git history seems to suffice for maintainers (and, is probably
> far more useful than the changelog).

It's not available locally. And both git and %changelog may be older
than the actual build of the package. It's always more convenient to
query the installed package metadata.