On 01/06/2017 08:45 AM, drago01 wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 01/06/2017 08:07 AM, drago01 wrote:

>>> That may be, but shifting the complexity to the user is simply not an
>>> option that we should seriously consider.
>>
>> You keep saying that, without describing what complexity you think is going
>> hit the user.
>
> Having to configure / setup / handle containers to run regular
> application is added complexity compared to simply running the
> applications.
> I think we both agree here because it is obvious ;)

Reread this thread, please. This is the suggested non-container approach to
solve the problem.

>> I mean, if we shifted to the two-repo approach and shipped the
>> multi-arch repo as on-by-default, would the user experience change in any
>> visible way?
>
> Not to the same extent as the container solution but yes it would.
> Multilib is not about just having a repo with every single package as
> 32bti version.
> It is mostly libraries + a few selected ones.
> As others have pointed you could accidentally get mixed packages
> because out of sync repositories. + Minor annoyances like additional
> (duplicated)
> meta data that you have to deal with (bandwidth, time to install
> packages / updates).

By "others", I'll note you are referring to me :)

Yes, but those are solvable problems. I'm thinking at this point that solving
those on the server-side might be a better (and more maintainable, long-term)
strategy than the hacks we have today.