On 6 January 2017 at 02:16, Ben Rosser <rosser....@gmail.com> wrote:
> It turns out that I am very silly, and, when writing the appstream
> file for tilp2, never changed "comical.desktop" in the template here
> [1] to "tilp.desktop".
> ...whoops! I can, uh, fix that.

:)

> However, interestingly, it seems that "appstream-util validate-relax
> --nonet" doesn't seem to care. It happily validates tilp2's appstream
> information [2], which is why I never noticed this at the time. I
> would think that "referenced desktop file doesn't exist on system"
> should at least be a warning or something when validating?

Well, to do a full validation we need to search for the icon, look for
the desktop file and validate the appdata file. This is what you can
do with:

$ appstream-util check-root

Although it's best used in the package build system, e.g. for RPM you can do:

DESTDIR=%{buildroot} appstream-util check-root

It's lightly tested, so it if works or breaks please let me know.

Richard.