On 11 January 2017 at 15:52, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
> This amount of breakage (65 packages, *despite* validation)

Most of those packages don't validate the AppData file...

> and no filtering should be done during display.

It isn't -- that status page is for apps that don't even get into the metadata.

> If there are some issues with an appdata entry, both users and the
> package maintainers would be much better served if it is displayed,
> even imperfect and ugly, than not at all.

You mean just display a stock broken image for the application icon?
No description for markup problems?

> It would be much easier to
> diagnose things, and would probably encourage more people to fix those
> visual issues. Currently it's just too easy to never see the problem.
> Filtering in this final "user" stage just seems to be in the wrong
> place, and goes against the principle of gentle degradation.

I think the opposite might be the solution; fail the rpmbuild if the
appdata is invalid. Then the packager knows at build time rather than
having to check some random status page.

Richard