On 10 January 2017 at 14:39, Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu> wrote:

> On 10/01/17 08:39, Jan Kurik wrote:
>
> Often even after 100% translation in Zanata, few packages do not get
>> build with latest translations in Fedora. This result in poor
>> localization experience.
>>

> I don't really understand the logic here...
>
> I would expect anything in Fedora to be built with whatever translations
> are provided in the upstream release - are you saying that packagers are
> routinely removing such translations for some reason? or just forgetting to
> package the extra translations?

Yes, forgetting to pull translation is one of the problem.
Also other problem is packages updating strings after translation is
completed. This also result in loss of translation.

> Or are you proposing that packagers should be pulling translations from
> some additional source above and beyond what upstream provides?

No, not this.

> Zanata appears to be a web based translation platform that developers can
> use so I would expect the workflow for a package that uses Zanata to be
> that upstream pulls the latest translations from it at regular intervals
> and incorporates them in the releases they make which then get packaged in
> Fedora.
>
> I'm not saying we should package a tool for analysing translation status
> as I'm sure it will be useful to upstream developers but it's not clear how
> you envisage it fitting into the Fedora development process.

In Fedora development process, i think such a script/project will be
helpful like.
After Beta release, one can simply run this script on fully installed
translation machine and verify whether all latest translation from upstream
are available in Fedora or is there any specific string breakage (i.e. New
English words in package ).

At the present still exploring ideas, once we have basic script ready we
can further think how can we use it for more benefits to Fedora translation
quality.

-
Pravin