On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also wonder if we're thinking about this problem all wrong. What if
> the answer isn't to increase the friction in Rawhide, but instead to
> create a regular output stream that people can use to be above
> releases? That's more or less how Tumbleweed works, as it's
> essentially snapshotted and published from Factory when it "checks
> out" via the OpenQA gate. Now, OBS has the nice ability of being able
> to have granular control of how publishing actually works. I think the
> way Koji's tagging mechanism works may provide a similar capability,
> and we could leverage that to produce something like mattdm's
> oft-wanted "Fedora Bikeshed".
>
> I for one don't actually want Rawhide to be gated because it makes
> things much harder in terms of properly developing new features. We're
> simply not capable of being as good as OpenSUSE in terms of automation
> to be able to pull off the feats they do. There were major changes to
> how OpenSUSE did packaging to begin with to be able to pull off what
> they did, and I simply don't think anyone here is prepared to do even
> a small bit of that yet.
>
> And before someone brings up Factory 2.0 and Modularity (because
> someone *will*), neither of those solve the problem. Instead they
> create new ones by completely decoupling package life cycles from the
> distribution lifecycle (meaning that now it's even harder to introduce
> distribution-wide changes) and requiring us to shimmy in ways to
> handle multiple versions for creating weird bundles without being
> prepared to figure out how to actually keep that sane.

I'm glad someone brought up Tumbleweed because every so often I build a VM
of Tumbleweed, a VM of Rawhide and a VM of Debian "sid" just to see if I
could use any of them as a workstation day-to-day. What I'm looking for
mostly is the latest GNOME desktop, Firefox browser, Virtual Machine
Manager stack and Docker stack. LibreOffice is nice but I can live without
it, given that I have RStudio Server and PostgreSQL / PostGIS running in
(Debian) containers.

Rawhide as it currently exists can't stay solid enough for me even with
just the few pieces I absolutely need. Tumbleweed, for all it's promise of
"latest and greatest", is not supported by enough third parties to be
useful even as just a host. And sid is, well, sid.

If there was a "Fedora GNOME Tumbleweed" I would absolutely use it, because
the rest of Fedora's container stack - OpenShift Origin, source-to-image,
etc. - is way better than what's in Tumbleweed or Sid. Sure, I could build
that stuff from source but I don't want to waste the troubleshooting time.
--
How many people can stand on the shoulders of a giant before the giant
collapses?