On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 08:41:56AM -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > These system executables are expecting to use the system python, and thus
> > should use: #!/usr/bin/python."
> I don't seem to get the above argument. Why do they not consider a
> design where the system executables are expecting to use non-system
> python when available?
>
> Suppose, as a developer, I need to test my software and scripts
> against multiple versions of Python. What is the recommended way of
> doing this? Symlinks? Alternatives?

I don't understand the problem. I understand why one might want this
for _user_ or _local_ software and scripts, but for _system_ software,
Weird Problems can happen if you replace the interpreter with one which
is not 100% compatible.

If you know that your software will work for *all possible interpreters
now and forever*, I can see using env in system packages, but otherwise
it seems like asking for trouble.

I guess if you always expect your software to be packaged in a larger
construct where the environment is controlled (like part of a module
going into a container), that could be useful too.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>