On 2017-03-31 4:04 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 15:16:22 -0400, Fernando Nasser wrote:

A few issues I remember caused by unversioned Obsoletes (before they
were banished to Hell) were:

- Not being able, ever again, to provide the thing being obsoleted.  And
believe me, things change ;-)

- The Obsoletes affects other channels as well, not only the content of
the channel that contains the package that contains the Obsoletes is
affected.\
If the obsoleted name is needed by something in some other package even
being at a higher version it cannot be installed.

So for a decade or more (I list track, I am here for almost 2 decades),
the Obsoletes always comes with a '=' or a '<='.
RPM itself also blocks a package from being installed, if *any* other
installed packages obsoletes that package name. If non-versioned, you're
doomed and would need to get rid of the Obsoletes tag first.

An overly simplified test-case where the package containing the Obsoletes
tag is replaced directly via rpm -Uvh is not sufficient.

One has to resort to triggers, and even that does not work in all cases.

Wretched thing, unversioned Obsoletes.

Fernando