On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Fernando Nasser <fnas...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2017-03-31 4:04 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 15:16:22 -0400, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>>
>>> A few issues I remember caused by unversioned Obsoletes (before they
>>> were banished to Hell) were:
>>>
>>> - Not being able, ever again, to provide the thing being obsoleted.  And
>>> believe me, things change ;-)
>>>
>>> - The Obsoletes affects other channels as well, not only the content of
>>> the channel that contains the package that contains the Obsoletes is
>>> affected.\
>>> If the obsoleted name is needed by something in some other package even
>>> being at a higher version it cannot be installed.
>>>
>>> So for a decade or more (I list track, I am here for almost 2 decades),
>>> the Obsoletes always comes with a '=' or a '<='.
>>
>> RPM itself also blocks a package from being installed, if *any* other
>> installed packages obsoletes that package name. If non-versioned, you're
>> doomed and would need to get rid of the Obsoletes tag first.
>>
>> An overly simplified test-case where the package containing the Obsoletes
>> tag is replaced directly via rpm -Uvh is not sufficient.
>

> One has to resort to triggers, and even that does not work in all cases.
>
> Wretched thing, unversioned Obsoletes.
>
> Fernando

We Hates It(tm).

Pretty much this happened with ecj when its name changed between
Fedora eleases, with gcc being published as "gcc" for version 3 and
"gcc4" for version 4 and changed to "gcc" for version 4, with the
openssl compatibility libraries, and when when default Python major
versions change.