On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Igor Gnatenko
<ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> We would like you to try it out and give feedback, it is very important
> for us! Just send it as reply to this message..

This is an interesting feature, thanks for announcing it and
presenting at DevConf.

Colin Walters made an interesting point in a different context [1]
when it comes to adding additional files to the package manager.
Mirror content updates are not atomic, so mirrors could have some
files but not others. In this context, Colin pointed out that a mirror
could update repomd.xml independently of repomd.xml.asc. This leads to
client races, where the only solution is to retry.

Previously, Debian used to have apt-get download its "Release" files
and GPG signatures in separate "Release.asc" files. With the number of
mirrors and the number of clients, these updates would race frequently
and Debian finally moved to inline-gpg-signing their files as
"InRelease". [2]

When I think about this solution of introducing more metadata files on
the mirrors, I'm wondering if this could introduce more client races
in a similar way? What is the behavior when mirrors misbehave, or are
just a little slow?

- Ken

[1] https://pagure.io/releng/issue/133
[2]