On 05/29/2017 09:22 AM, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change: Rsyslog log format change proposal =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RsyslogLogFormat
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Radovan Sroka <rsroka AT redhat DOT com>
> * Roman Pavelka <rpavelka AT redhat DOT com>
>
> Currently Fedora uses RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat as a default
> format for timestamps in its logs. There is missing year and timezone.
> This proposal aims to change this by adopting ISO 8601 and RFC 3339
> compliant timestamp format known as RSYSLOG_FileFormat instead of
> current RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat.
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> Currently Fedora, RHEL and CentOS use RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat
> for log’s timestamp, so timestamps in files like /var/log/messages,
> /var/log/cron and /var/log/secure looks like e.g.:
>
> May 29 13:37:50 localhost systemd: Starting Fingerprint Authentication
> Daemon...
>

> This format has few disadvantages
> * Does not include year which sometimes may be needed, mostly when
> doing long term analysis or some investigation.
> * Does not include timezone which may be important piece when working
> with system scattered around the globe.
> * It is not standard format. Standards are ISO 8601 and more strict RFC 3339
>
> We would propose to change this to defaults to standard format with
> timezone included. We are suggesting new RSYSLOG_FileFormat that looks
> like e.g.:
>
> 2017-05-29T13:40:50.976409+02:00 localhost systemd: Stopping System
> Logging Service...
>

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> - commit necessary changes
> - create rsyslog build
>
> * Other developers:
> none
>
> * Release engineering:
> Releng#6818 https://pagure.io/releng/issue/6818
>
> * List of deliverables:
> Not affected
>
> * Policies and guidelines:
> Not affected
>
> * Trademark approval:
> Not needed for this Change

At today's FESCo meeting, we agreed that there isn't sufficient information in
the Change Proposal page to make a decision. In particular, the "Benefit to
Fedora" section does not contain any meaningful advantages...

"Compliance to international standard," is not useful as a metric to determine
whether the disruption involved is worth making the change. Consider instead a
statement along the lines of " "Matching the behavior of popular distros X, Y
and Z to minimize distro-specific hacks" or "Easier to parse with standard tools
foo and bar" as valid reasons.

Similarly, the reverse is also true: the "Scope" section is extremely lacking in
information and the "Dependencies" section is entirely empty. It does not
inspire confidence that the person(s) proposing this Change understand the
potential fallout. At a minimum, we should have an analysis of what packages in
Fedora parse the rsyslog output and make sure that they are capable of handling
the change.