On 06/13/2017 03:47 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:

> For actual artifacts such as cloud/disk/installer images I agree but
> at least pushing out individual packages so people can do "dnf
> upgrade" picks up issues such as dependency issues that also kill the
> compose and allows people to still test explicit parts and have the
> composite parts of a "rolling release" and get things fixed.... I feel
> that's better than dragging everything to a blinding halt like we have
> for the last 13... or is it 14 days?

Perhaps so. Note that I personally have been updating from the koji
repo, but I know that has some limitations (no multiarch, etc).

> I can't help but feel this is like British politics is ATM where
> people are claiming everything is "strong and stable" while the wheels
> have fallen off and are rolling down the road. I don't think pushing
> out the Everything repo stops the "kill off Alpha" process from
> happening, in fact I believe it means it's more likely to happen
> because if the last two weeks shows anything all that happens is that
> if we wait for a "everything is perfect ship it" we never will and
> because nothing is shipped nothing is tested so once we get to the
> "computer thinks it's good" we can get to the actual testing and then
> we get to "what the hell changed in the last two weeks broke X, Y and
> Z, are they related or completely independent?" process.
>
> I think the all or nothing actually makes it less likely for us to
> ever ship anything! I don't think shipping the traditional
> "Everything" repo breaks the "kill Alpha" proposal, I think we need to
> be pragmatic and realise that people actually consuming content helps
> that.
>
> Peter "yes I live in the as strong and stable as a house of cards
> country so I can joke/comment on it" R

Well, I am not even an owner of that Change, so I will leave it to Adam
and Dennis to chime in on the no alpha part.

I do think now that we do have a compose that worked we are in a better
place and can now do what Colin was suggesting (If something fails now,
just untag the offending thing and file a bug on it and recompose).

There's definitely tons of room for improvement all around here including:

* Composes are really slow (likely related to storage slowness), if they
were faster or could fail faster we could untag/fix/iterate more. Right
now we are lucky to get 2 chances a day.

* There's plans pretty far along to 'pre test' base stuff with test
composes, that should help a lot. ie, new anaconda or lorax or whatever
arrives, a test compose is done and openqa tests it. If it fails we know
we can't use that in the main compose.

kevin