On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 01:00:33PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Has there yet been any consideration given to *schedule* changes? One
> thing this mail makes abundantly clear is that a lot of work is going
> to be involved in even a minimally viable '1.0' implementation of the
> Modularity concept. Are we confident that this work can be carried out
> to a reasonable standard within a typical Fedora release cycle, and if
> not, are we considering changing the Fedora 27 release schedule?

I'm not confident, but I know there a lot of people in the Factory 2.0,
Rel-Eng, Modularity, and Server WG teams working on it and planning to
make the deadlines.

If we hold to the standard schedule framework, F28 will be May 2018. If
we were to adjust the F27 schedule... December and January aren't great
for releases, so we might look at going to February, but if we do that,
May's not far off anyway. Modularity team (and everyone involved), does
that three months in either direction make a big difference?

Personally, I really like the predictable schedule for planning
reasons*, and I'd rather see a solid contingency plan which allows us to
_really_ back out if it's not 100% ready by Beta (September 5). If that
happens, we can decide to try again for F28 the next May and hopefully
be really solid. Or, if that doesn't seem like it's going to work out,
retool with another approach.

* and, candidly, with the Fedora-Red Hat liason part of my job-hat on,
so does Red Hat, and so do a lot of our other stakeholders like
upstream projects who count on Fedora releases to get their stuff to
users.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>