On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 12:41 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> I'm opposed to switching the meaning of `/usr/bin/python` for AH
> anytime soon.  It's just going to break stuff, and to me the gain is
> quite
> low.

One of Fedora's stated goals is to remain close to the upstream.
Upstream Python is going to change /usr/bin/python to mean Python 3. If
AH keeps it on Python 2, it will be confusing for Python programmers
using AH. It will be especially confusing for programmers who want to
write software that works on "normal" Fedora and AH. Also, as software
begins to switch AH will have to patch its Python packages, diverging
from the rest of Fedora.

> Regardless, I can certainly take care of updating the Change proposal
> to mention
> that the `/usr/bin/python` portion doesn't apply to AH, and we'll
> continue
> to have `python2` installed by default, if that's OK with you?

I think this will cause a poor experience for Fedora users. Python
packages would work one way in AH, but work differently in the rest of
the Fedora editions.

I don't see a practical advantage to divergence. I believe the
divergence will break stuff in a more confusing manner than the change
will.